Thursday, February 24, 2011

The iPad is Great, but Virtualizing the MacBook Air is about Pure Productivity Bliss

I had the chance to make the short trip up to San Francisco last week for the RSA Conference. I had some terrific meetings lined up, and also had some downtime scheduled in between a few of them. Being the “exemplary” 21st century executive that I always strive to be, I figured I could catch up on email, edit a number of documents and otherwise stay connected to help keep the fires burning back at the office during my breaks.

A funny thing happened as I was packing my work bag for the first day of the show. While I’ve been glued to my iPad as the “don’t leave home without it” device for the past year, I suddenly felt the urge to leave it behind this time around. Maybe it was having the foresight of the type of work I needed to tackle that day. After all, it certainly required some heavy lifting. Regardless, I felt myself grabbing for my shiny new MacBook Air, thinking to myself, this really is the one and only device I need to get the job done right today.

Don’t get me wrong. I love my iPad and it has certainly been a great companion device for keeping up on email, reading books and even keeping my child entertained while we’re on the road. The very notion of the iPad is certainly an intriguing one with its brilliant touch screen and countless apps, and I know many would say it works just fine as a productivity device. However, I think at this point I beg to differ and my experience at RSA helped to cement my thinking.
When it comes to getting the important tasks done, I want my keyboard, my processing power and a nice screen. I also want seamless access to my work environment whether online or offline, and the iPad has never been great from that standpoint. That said, I do still want it all on a single device that also contains my itunes and photos.

So what’s the point? The MacBook Air is about the same size as the iPad. It fit right into my work bag and provides the same functionality, plus a whole lot more (there’s something comforting about still having access to Safari and iTunes when the work is done). It’s just as cool, sleek and sophisticated – and it’s a tremendous device for leveraging all the benefits desktop virtualization has to offer. I used MokaFive to work on my corporate desktop at RSA (without worrying about getting the wireless password at each cafe), and I was about as productive at the conference as I am back at the office, barring a few waiters and old friends popping in to help to break my stride on occasion. They were all welcomed interruptions, of course.

We’ve heard so much about enabling the iPad in the workplace recently, but why struggle to support it when the notion of providing employees with a MacBook Air and virtualizing the corporate desktop on such a killer device is one that can and should easily win the day? From my vantage point, we can leave the touch screen and apps for the family outings, and instead consider making the move to what I think just might be the device of our day for creating a happier, more productive workforce.

Bottom line – if you have Apple-hungry employees, lighten the load and try putting a MacBook Air in their hands and virtualizing their corporate desktop, and I think you’ll quickly see what I mean.



Purnima Padmanabhan, VP of Products & Marketing

3 comments:

  1. I agree about the awesomeness of the MacBook Air. Since I got mine I haven't touched my MacBook Pro, and my iPad is relegated to a fancy remote for home and an eReader for planes.

    But the one thing that a lot of people forget in the comparisons is the price difference. The MacBook Air is double the price, which matters because the iPad can be justified as "just a toy" to get it purchased initially.

    There's a psychological issue here too. If people buy a Mac, then they're thinking about "Mac laptop versus Windows laptop." And that's a hard pill to swallow.. Will work support the Mac? Can I make that big change? Am I comfortable being a "Mac person?"

    Buying an iPad is much more gentle. It's an auxiliary device. You don't have to change religions to get one.

    So while I agree that a lot of these iPad-toting newly-Mac-loving business folks *should* really be using a MacBook Air, I just don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,

    From a cost comparison, the assumption is that in the iPad scenario employees will still have their Windows laptop in addition to having an iPad. What I am suggesting is that you eliminate your Windows laptop, which can be a $1,000 in savings and also eliminate the iPad which is an additional $500 and just get yourself a MacBook Air. Of course, the question now becomes, how do I get IT to support this? This is where MokaFive comes in. Now, all the mobile workers around the world can go and ask their IT department for a Mac and say that MokaFive is a way to securely support Mac in the enterprise.

    -Purnima

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brian,

    Hey, what happened to your "For the next two months, I'm going VDI only" pledge? Are you still seeing your MacBook Air on the side? ;-)

    -John

    ReplyDelete